How long have you worked at Abraxas?
Since July 2010
Which charities and nonprofits are you involved with?
What encouraged you to become involved with these particular organizations?
- Greater Kalamazoo United Way
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Kalamazoo
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Greg Jennings Foundation
I have a passion for helping kids.
Why do you enjoy working with these organizations?
I believe that I can make a difference in kids’ lives whether through committing time or financial resources. I love seeing kids laugh, play and learn in a safe environment.
What level of involvement do you have with these organizations?
How much time do you spend helping these organizations?
- United Way – I helped organize a company wide campaign, which raised over $15,000 in employee contributions our first year. With our owner’s generous match, we contributed more than $30,000 toward the United Way campaign.
- Boys and Girls Club – I contribute financially.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – I have previously been a Big Brother and am currently participating financially.
- Greg Jennings Foundation – I am on the committee for the Greg Jennings Charity Golf event, which raised over $200,000 in 2012.
Depending on the time of year, I always try and support each organization’s fundraising efforts. This can range from monthly meetings to a few hours a week planning and coordinating fundraising events.
How long have you volunteered with these organizations?
How did you become a charity volunteer, what were your reasons for doing so?
- United Way: 2 years
- Boys and Girls Club: 1 year
- Big Brother Big Sisters: 4 years
- Greg Jennings Foundation: 1 year
My reason for volunteering is that I feel that I can positively contribute to the lives of kids in Kalamazoo. To pick which organizations I am involved with, I researched the organizations to learn more about their mission, vision and values.
Can you suggest any other reasons why people should volunteer their time to charity?
It’s highly rewarding to know that you are making a difference in someone’s life.
How would you define the term ‘volunteer’?
I would define a “volunteer” as someone who donates their time and energy.
Why do you think volunteering for a charity or helping out the community makes Abraxas a better company?
Volunteering opens your eyes to the community in which you live. It gets us out working in the community and actively making it a better place for our kids to grow up. In some instances, volunteering requires you to take a step out of your comfort zone and to grow, and I think that builds character. Well-rounded people make for a better organization.